Various Artists – CancerBlows: The Legends Return (2018) [Official Digital Download 24bit/96kHz]
Various Artists – CancerBlows: The Legends Return (2018)
FLAC (tracks) 24-bit/96 kHz | Time – 01:32:57 minutes | 1,84 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Master, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front Cover | © Music = Hope Records
Wycliffe returned this year to perform with some of the greatest known trumpet players of all time, including the incredible Doc Severinsen, Arturo Sandoval, Randy Brecker and Lee Loughnane, just to name a few. Cancer Blows is a fundraiser to raise awareness and money to fight Multiple Myeloma, championed by trumpeter with the Dallas Symphony and cancer survivor Ryan Anthony.
In November 2012, Dallas Symphony Orchestra principal trumpet, Ryan Anthony had just completed a guest appearance with his old group, Canadian Brass and wasn’t feeling well. After the concert, Ryan told his wife, Niki, that he felt like his entire body was “jangling” as he ran off-stage.
Recent chronic aches & pains had sent the then 43-yr old to multiple doctors searching for the cause. Blood tests revealed abnormalities but multiple doctors reassured him that “it can’t be cancer” because Ryan was too young to be a candidate for the types of cancers that caused his symptoms. Fortunately one doctor decided to test for cancer “just in case”. The Monday after the Canadian Brass concert, Ryan & Niki got the call that no one anticipates or is prepared for – especially with two young children in elementary school – Ryan had been diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a terminal cancer of the bone marrow that most often appears in patients 65 and older.
Just ten years ago, multiple myeloma was a death sentence with a life span of 3-5 years. While the cancer is still considered incurable and terminal, recent, rapid advances in research have greatly extended the life span of newly diagnosed patients and hope for a cure is a real possibility. In 2015 alone, three new drugs were approved for treatment of multiple myeloma by the FDA increasing treatment options by 20%.
When he was diagnosed, Ryan’s goal was to survive long enough to see his children, then just 6 and 11-years-old, graduate from high school. But, because he has responded so well to his treatment, Ryan & Niki both dare to hope for more. During his transplant, Ryan was overwhelmed with phone calls from trumpet players all over the world. Everyone asked what they could do to help and Ryan jokingly started saying “we’ll all play a concert when I am healthy again and we’ll call it cancer blows”. As the weeks went by, the joke solidified into a real event with an impressive guest list. Soon Ryan & Niki realized the event could be more than just something for fun but could be used to raise awareness and money to further the research that has helped give their family a hope for a future.
01. The Principals – Wiener Philharmoniker Fanfare, Op. 109, TrV 248 (Live)
02. Allen Vizzutti – Capriccio (Live)
03. Arturo Sandoval – Maynard and Waynard (Live)
04. Wycliffe Gordon – We’re Still Here / He’s Alright (Live)
05. Arturo Sandoval – Zane (Live)
06. Rashawn Ross – Move Your Rug (Live)
07. Arturo Sandoval – The Brave Matador (Live)
08. Randy Brecker – Boo! (Live)
09. Marvin Stamm – Black, Brown and Beige: No. 1, Come Sunday (Live)
10. The Principals – Dectet (Live)
11. Ryan Anthony – You’ll Never Walk Alone (From “Carousel”) [Live]
12. Lee Loughnane – Chicago Medley for CancerBlows (Live)
13. The Principals – Estancia Suite, Op. 8a: II. Danza del trigo (Live)
14. The Principals – Yosemite Fanfare (Live)
15. Doc Severinsen – One O’clock Jump (Live)
16. Randy Brecker – Lover Man (Live)
17. Wayne Bergeron – MacArthur Park (Live)